Thursday, 20 August 2015

Dotty Birthday!

Hi Friends,

I hope your week is going well so far.  I have an extra day off work so am spending it crafting :)  Today I would like to share a card which was inspired by MFT Summer School's lesson 11 Repetition and lesson 12 Symmetry/Asymmetry.

Miriam and Stephanie both made fantastic cards featuring polka dots and it inspired me to use my MFT jumbo polka dots stencil which has been lying in my drawer for a few months now patiently waiting to be used!  I had a rummage in my ink box and pulled out three colours I thought would work well together for a male-themed card and with the exception of knowing I wanted to make a symmetrical card I made it up as I went along.

 Supplies:

MFT Mix-ables Stencils - Jumbo Polka Dot
MFT Die-namics - Stitched Circles Stax
MFT Die-namics - Blueprints 14
MFT Die-namics - Happy
MFT Die-namics - Stitched Fishtail Flag Stax
Spellbinders Nestabilities - Large Circles
MFT Stamps - Happy Everything
Neenah Cardstock - Desert Storm
Memento Ink - Toffee Crunch
Simon Says Stamp Ink - Island Blue, Green Apple, Fossil
Doodlebug Designs Sequins - Swimming Pool Assortment
Doodlebug Designs Sequns - Limeade Assortment
Studio Calico Wooden Shapes - Stars
The Ribbon Girl - Natural Twine
Ranger - Glossy Accents
From Stash - Green Cardstock, Blue Star Button and Wide Ribbon


I used jumbo polka dot stencil and SSS ink in island blue, green apple and fossil to create the background which I then die cut with the large square from blueprints 14. I cut a strip of green cardstock and glued it on top of my background and then added a piece of ribbon from my stash. I layered this onto desert storm cardstock before layering on my card base. 

To keep with the circle theme I die-cut a circle in desert storm and one in white cardstock and layered them as shown. I die-cut happy three times, sponging one with SSS Island Blue Ink and glued them together.  I then covered the entire word in glossy accents, allowed it to dry and glued it down. I made the stiched banner using the smallest stitched flagtail die and stamped birthday using memento toffee crunch ink. I added a button with twine and some tiny wooden stars.  I felt like my card was still missing something to decided to add some sequins to the background dots I glued them down with glossy accents and then decided I wasn't sure if I liked them or not....but they were glued down too well to remove them! It gives the card a bit of a retro feel!  I find masculine cards really hard to create but this one got the thumbs up from the husband before I even asked his opinion, so I'm happy with that :)

 I would also like to play along in the following challenges:















 Thanks for visitng, have a great day,
Hugs Ax

9 comments:

  1. Love your fun colour scheme and the glossy sentiment! Thanks for playing along with As You See It Challenge #100!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great card! Love the color combination. Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That shiny "happy" just jumped right out the photo and grabbed me! I love your colour choice as well! Thanks for helping us celebrate 100 challenges at As You See It Challenges this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great colors and sketch too!

    Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

    Hugs, Alica :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card....love the colors and the circles. Thanks for joining us at Seize the Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great layers and colour combo! Thanks for joining the Shopping Our Stash crew for our "Layer it on Me" challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I love the circles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So festive and bright and cheery. Great dimension and use of patterns. Thanks for playing with our 100th challenge at AYSI!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite thing about this card is that you put sequins in the center of the circles! So much fun! I also love the color scheme and that you made the sentiment glossy! I need to get out my Crystal Effects and sit it right in front of me so I remember to use it! :) Thanks for playing along with our 100th challenge at As You See It Challenges!!!

    ReplyDelete