MFT Outside the Box Superstar Entry

 Hi Friends,

Yay, I managed to finish my card for the Outside of the Box Category of MFT Card Design Superstar Challenge - just!  It's really hard to find time for crafting with three young children in the house and I am a really, really slow crafter!

I was really happy to see MFT had a category dedicated to box cards for this years challenge.  I absolutely love making box cards, and have used my MFT outside the box die-namics many times.

 https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0034/2668/0896/files/MFT_Superstars2022_Header.jpg?v=1666031068

I decided to keep with the same critters as my card for the Clean and Simple Category - underwater critters. I used the original Outside the Box die-namics as it gives plenty room the put a scene on the front and sides, and with this card I even added a little scene to the back of the box!  This box is also a little different from previous makes as it is interactive - the cute dolphin is jumping and diving from the left handside of the card to the right - all thanks to a brad..so easy :)

Supplies:
MFT Stamps and Die-namics  - Friends with Fins
MFT Stamps and Die-namics - Gill Friends
MFT Stamps and Die-namics - Mermazing - Shells and Turtle
MFT Stamps and Die-namics - Soak up the Fun (retired) - Underwater plant
MFT Stamps and Die-namics - Otterly Love You - Tiny Smiling Fish!
MFT Stamps and Die-namics - Magical Friends - Clouds
MFT Die -namics - Outside the Box
MFT Die-namics - Outside the Box Waves
MFT Die-namics - Inside and Out Rectangle Stax
MFT Die-namics - Snow Drifts
Strathmore Cardstock - Bristol Smooth
Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Ink - Tumbled Glass, Salty Ocean, Stormy Sky
Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Ink - Cracked Pistachio, Salty Ocean, Prize Ribbon, Chipped Sapphire
Tsukineko Memento Ink - Tuxedo Ink
Versamark Stamp Pad - Watermark
MFT Ink - Extreme Black
Hero Arts Embossing Powder - Sand
Stampendous Embossing Powder - White
White Acrylic Paint
Clear Acetate and a Brad

I began by die-cutting all the components of the the box card from white cardstock. For two of the wave shelves (front and third) I did partial die-cutting to die-cut the wave top only as I wanted a deeper shelf.  To attach these larger shelf panels inside the box I adhered a plain shelf to the back of each panel.  I die-cut a rectangle from the front of the box to create a window.  I then adhered some acetate and another die-cut rectangle to reinforce the front in order for it to keep its shape.

I used distress oxide inks to blend the sky and all the water shelves and panels for the sides and back. To each I splattered water and then some dilute white paint. I then die cut the sandy ocean floor from white card stock using snow drifts die-namics.  I covered the die-cuts with versamark and then added Sand Embossing Powder and heat set.  I added the ocean floor to the relevant panels.

I stamped all the critters, shells, clouds and plants in tuxedo black ink on copic friendly paper and coloured them with my copics.  I decided on their placement and then heated embossed some bubbles for two of the fish. With the exception of the pink fish and the dolphin all images were adhered with liquid adhesive.  The pink fish was popped up on foam adhesive.

With the dolphin I wanted it to be jumping out and diving to the right hand side of the card.  This was very easy to achieve with a double strip of acetate and a brad.  I cut a whole near the bottom of the extended shelf and a hole into a double strip of acetate and attached them to the card with a brad - this allows movement.  The strip of acetate is  slightly longer than the shelf so it can be easily moved from the bottom of the card or you can just use your fingers and move the dolphin itself too :) The dolphin was attached to the acetate strip with liquid adhesive.

For the back panel I matted the sky panel to some generic blue cardstock before attaching to the back wall with double sided tape.  I stamped the sentiment in MFT extreme black ink.  I adhered the clouds with liquid adhesive.

I attached the side panels with liquid adhesive and the back panel with double sided tape.

Here is a look from the top the card - it gives a better view of some of the fish, and shows the dolphin at mid-position.

Here is the front view with the dolphin diving to the right :)
 

 
This is the right hand-side of the card.
 
 

 
Here is the left hand-side of the card.
 

I also created a little scene at the back of the box card.  I left the top half white so I can write a message to the recipient.
 

 
I had great fun making this box card and I love these underwater critters.  I am happy how this box card turned out even though I was a bit rushed to finish it.  I hope it inspires you. to make a box card.  It is so easy using the MFT box card die-namics.
 
Thanks so much for popping by to see my card.
Happy crafting,
Ax






Comments

  1. What an amazing card... really creative and well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. This project is an ocean of sweetness! I love that you used cork for the sandy sea bottom. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment